The Career Center counseling team advises GCC students at various stages of their career planning and development process, including choosing a major, deciding on a future career path, and preparing to enter the world of work. Students have the opportunity to meet with a career counselor by appointment in a relaxed, confidential setting, allowing them to discuss their career development needs in depth or to address specific questions requiring short answers.
No two students are alike. In planning for their future careers, many students may change their majors as they gain a better understanding of themselves and gather information on programs of study and careers. Students may need to see a career counselor a few times before making an educated decision on a major or career goal.
Career Center Steps to Success
The majority of students have been successful in their career search by applying the following action plan:
- Reserve a ½-hour appointment for an Intake interview with a career counselor to get acquainted, review your situation, and to obtain a career assessment Referral. You may schedule appointments by contacting the GCC Career Center Front Office (San Rafael Bldg. - 2nd floor) either in person or over the phone at: (818) 240-1000 ext. 5407 or 5408.
- Complete career assessment inventories suggested by the career counselor to evaluate your unique qualities and preferences and to learn how your interests, personality style, values, and abilities fit together with a career field or major. Assessments are administered by the Career Center staff during office hours. No prearranged appointment is necessary. Please allow one hour per assessment.
- Follow up with several one-hour appointments for an interpretation of assessments results and to pinpoint occupational fields that are most compatible with your preferences.
- Research information, using Career Center resources on career options, key competencies, and educational requirements in the occupational field of your choice. Ask front office staff for guidance.
- Conduct an informational interview with professionals who have the first-hand experience in your chosen occupational field. Informational interviews provide a great opportunity to learn more about the realities of working in a particular occupation. Consult your career counselor on how to proceed.
- Schedule an appointment with your career counselor to report your findings and to finalize your decision on the choice of college major and career path.
- Schedule an appointment with an academic counselor for class selection and college program direction and to develop your Student Educational Plan (S.E.P.).
Regular contact with a career counselor is critical to students’ academic progress and future professional success. In addition to helping students with choosing a major and charting their respective career course, career counselors provide assistance with internship planning and selection, resume development, interview preparation, job retention, career advancement, and other issues associated with the needs of a person embarking on and managing their career journey.