GOVERNANCE BEST PRACTICES
ALL MEMBERS, VOTING & NON-VOTING:
- Familiarize themselves with the mission of the committee as indicated on the Blue List and GCC's mission statement.
- Regularly attend meetings; a member may recruit a proxy in the event of absence.
- Know who appointed them and know when their term ends.
- Consult with their appointing agency (Guild, Senate, and CSEA executives, ASGCC cabinet, Administration) for general guidance and for specific concerns about policy proposals.
- In the event of a disagreement about governance procedures, consult Administrative Regulation 2511, the Governance Document or contact the Governance Review Committee.
- When first participating on governance committees, attend the annual Fall governance workshop
CHAIRPERSONS OF THE COMMITTEE:
- Verify that membership matches the Blue List.
- Forward the agenda to the committee four working days before the meeting; include the student government through email; a hard copy may be placed in the ASGCC mailbox.
- Verify that the committee has a quorum (50% of the voting membership plus 1) before action is taken; discussion may take place in the absence of a quorum but no actions or motions can be taken without a quorum
- Verify that only voting members vote – “Resource” members do not have a vote
- Forward a “Motions Report” along with appropriate minutes to the Governance office. A schedule for reporting motions and minutes is forwarded to chairs and minutes recorders each month.
- Follow up on actions and decisions taken at the meeting.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENTS TO VOTING SEATS:
2-year appointment: “CSEA” seats
Academic “Senate” seats
“Joint” faculty seats
“Administration” and “Manager/Confidential” seats
"Resource" members do not have terms.
Persons may be added as members to committees and sub-committees by the various constituencies or by the committee to serve as resources of information; however a resource member will not have voting rights. A resource can be any person a committee feels has expertise to offer with respect to the committee’s business.
Governance webpage www.glendale.edu/governance
AR 2511, Governance Document