Please contact Sports information Director Alex Leon at firstname.lastname@example.org
The women's softball team won five games and lost just once over the weekend to win the championship in the seventh annual Glendale College Softball Classic at the Glendale Sports Complex.
The Lady Vaqs won the title with a 5-2 win over East Los Angeles College Sunday. Freshman third baseman Kitty Nguyen was the hitting star for Glendale with 13 hits in 17 at-bats in six games over the weekend with one walk.
Glendale plays this week in a doubleheader at Mt. SAC Friday against Mt. SAC at 2 pm and against Sant Barbara City College at 4 pm and plays at home Saturday as they hosts L.A. Pierce College in a doubleheader at the Glendale Sports Complex at 11 a.m. and 1 pm.
Glendale opened up the 2012 season last Thursday with an impressive 7-2 win at home over visiting College of the Sequoias. The lady Vaqs won five of six matches in singles and two matches in doubles to seasl the win.
1. Sofia Tavitian vs Larissa Clem, GCC, 6-0, 6-0
2. Samantha Sismundo vs Rebecca Blackwell, GCC 6-0, 6-0
3. Sevana Zargarian vs Stephanie Garcia, GCC 6-0, 6-1
4. Katherine Akmakji vs Cerena Ortiz, GCC 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
5. Brianna Hayes vs Vanessa Hernandez, GCC 6-2, 6-2
6. Zarouni Chavdarian vs Valerie Valencia, COS 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Sevana Zargarian/Samantha Sismundo vs Larissa Clem/Stephanie Garcia, GCC 8-0
2. Sofia Tavitian/Brianna Hayes vs Rebecca Blackwell/Cerena Ortiz, GCC 8-0
3. Zarouni Chavdarian/FNU Nerissa vs Vanessa Hernandez/Valerie Valencia, COS 9-7
The Lady Vaqs are home again this week with matches against Mt. SAC Tuesday and Rio Hondo College Thursday. Both matches start at 2 pm.
Glendale fell to 2-5 in Western State Conference play and 10-13 overall with a pair of losses last week, 76-73 to L.A. Valley College last Wednesday and 98-84 to Citrus College Saturday. Marquis Brooks had 22 points and 10 rebounds in the loss to Citrus Saturday.
The Vaqueros host Bakersfield College Wednesday and play at West Los Angeles College Saturday. Both games start at 7 pm.
The Lady Vaqs fell to L.A. Valley 57-37 last Wednesday and to Citrus 65-40 Saturday to fall to 2-5 in WSC play and 5-16 overall.
Glendale hosts Bakersfield Wednesday and plays at West L.A. College Saturday. Both games start at 5 pm.